Cell Phone Policy
Cell Phone Policy
SCHOOL-BASED POLICY FOR USE OF CELL PHONES, COMPUTING DEVICES, AND PORTABLE MUSIC AND ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEMS ON SCHOOL PROPERTY
Students are permitted to bring the following electronic devices into the school building:
1) cell phones, 2) laptops, 3) tablets, iPads, and other similar computing devices; and 4) portable music and entertainment systems.
A. Use of Electronic Devices
- During School Day and After-School Programs
- Electronic devices are not allowed to be used or turned on at any time on school property during the school day or on school trips, unless under the direction/supervision of school staff.
- Electronic devices are not allowed to be used or turned on at any time on school property during after-school programs, unless under the direction/supervision of school staff.
- During State Tests and Practice Tests
- Electronic devices will not be allowed in the classroom during the administration of a state exam including practice tests. It is suggested that students leave devices at home on the testing days to facilitate the testing process.
- Electronic devices will be collected and stored at the school. Devices will be returned to the student at the conclusion of the state examination or practice test at the end of each testing day.
- During School Field Trips
- Electronic devices are not allowed to be used or turned on at any time during school supervised field trips unless authorized by supervising teachers.
Electronic devices may be subject to confiscation by a school administrator or staff member. Method of return of confiscated devices will be determined on a case by case basis. Where appropriate, measures will be instituted in a progressive fashion, which may include:
- Warning to student to end the use of the electronic device and put it away.
- Confiscation of the electronic device and return to student at end of school day.
- Confiscation of device from student and return to parent/guardian following parent conference.
- Confiscation of device from student and return to parent following student entering into behavioral contract.
- Revocation of privilege for student to bring device to school.
Students who use any electronic device in violation of any provision of the DOE’s Discipline Code, the school’s policy, Chancellor’s Regulation A-413, and/or the DOE’s Internet Acceptable Use and Safety Policy will be subject to discipline in accordance with the guidance interventions and disciplinary responses set forth in the Discipline Code.
D. Lost / Stolen Electronic Devices
Students are responsible for their electronic devices and should take measures to ensure that their devices are safely stored away in their backpack or pocket.
PS 64 IS NOT RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY
ELECTRONIC DEVICES THAT ARE LOST, DAMAGED, OR STOLEN.
The policy set forth in this document was developed by the PS64Q administration
in conjunction with the PS 64Q School Leadership Team.