12/23/2022 9:17 AM
Dear Family of P.S. 064 Joseph P. Addabbo at 82-01 101 AVENUE
I am writing to notify you that a member or members of our school community have tested positive for COVID-19 and may have exposed others while at school.
Below you will find guidance on next steps that will help keep our school community healthy and safe. The information below reflects the expertise of the Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), Test & Trace Corp (T2), and the New York City Department of Education (DOE).
Note: DOHMH has issued new guidance due to the current transmission level of COVID. All people, regardless of vaccination status are strongly encouraged to wear masks at all times when indoors in a public setting. Please see the DOHMH advisory for more information.
What Happens Now?
· If this is the first time within the last five days that your child was exposed in school, your child will come home with a COVID test kit today.
o Your child will not receive a home test kit if:
§ Your child was previously exposed within the last five days and has already received a test kit.
§ If your child has recovered from COVID in the last 90 days.
· The kit contains two tests. Please follow the directions below to use the tests.
o Please help your child take the first test on the fourth day after their last exposure. If the test is negative, your child can continue to attend school.
o Please help your child take the second test on the fifth day after exposure.
· Your child may continue to attend school as long as your child receives negative test results both times and does not experience any symptoms of COVID-19. It is strongly recommended that anyone exposed to COVID wears a mask for 10 days from their last exposure.
· If your child has COVID-like symptoms or feels ill at any point after receiving the home test, please have your child isolate and take home test.
· If your child tests positive on either home test, you must notify your child’s school and your child must isolate for at least 5 days where Day 0 is the date of the positive test or the first day of symptoms, whichever is earlier.
How do I use test kits distributed at school?
All test kits come with printed instructions, please follow these instructions when administering the test. You can also check your test kit and watch a video on how to use your test kit. Videos in multiple languages can be found at https://www.schools.nyc.gov/HomeRapidTestKits.
How do we stay healthy?
Vaccination is the most important tool we have to protect ourselves from COVID-19. We strongly encourage the COVID-19 vaccination for all age-eligible students. Find a vaccine site today at https://vaccinefinder.nyc.gov/. There is no cost to be vaccinated.
Vaccine booster shots are now available for all fully vaccinated New Yorkers 5 years and older. These shots boost your immunity from an initial vaccination series. A booster shot is recommended for any adult who
received the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine at least five months ago, the second dose of the Moderna vaccine at least six months ago, or the one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine at least two months ago.
Please remember to follow these important actions to prevent COVID-19 transmission:
1. Stay home if sick (except to get essential medical care, including COVID-19 testing).
2. Wear a face covering if you are symptomatic or exposed to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
3. Practice healthy hand hygiene: Wash your hands often or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer; avoid touching your face; and cover your cough or sneeze with your arm, not your hands.
How can I stay updated?
We will continue to closely follow directions from public health experts and proactively update you on any measures we are taking. To ensure we can reach you via text and email, please create a New York City Schools Account (NYCSA) as soon as possible by visiting schools.nyc.gov/nycsa